The Institute for Change Leaders (ICL) is seeking a dynamic, part-time (20 hours/week) Communications Officer to lead our efforts to promote and market our programs, services and the organization. This role will be critical in supporting ICL’s mission to advance education by developing and delivering courses to the public that teach participants the tools, principles, ethics and values of participatory democracy in order to acquire knowledge and skills to be involved, and leaders, in democratic processes.
The Communications Officer will create high-quality, strategic, and engaging content to support a broad range of communication objectives across the organization. They will serve as the staff contact for all ICL communications including our website, newsletters, social media, printed materials, and any other marketing products. They will assist in developing ICL’s communications strategy and set key metrics for its success and over oversee the strategy’s implementation across all platforms. Working closely with the Communications and Development team, they will be instrumental in creating integrated strategies for successful campaigns.
Content & Materials
- Together with the Communications and Development team, develop ICL’s brand voice and tone and ensure it is communicated consistently across all platforms
- Oversee the creation of key messages and compelling content including but not limited to website, social media, newsletters, digital advertisements, video, blogs, reports, presentations, and print content in support of ICL communications, programming and development work
- Collaborate with members of the Communications and Development team and other staff around strategy and idea generation to support the advancement of organizational goals, including, marketing, education, advocacy, and fundraising
- Edits written materials developed by staff when intended for external audiences
- Seeks out and pitches stories and content ideas to Communications team members
Media & Public Relations
- Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, key stakeholders, and community leaders
- Develop key messages, talking points, and press releases to prepare staff and board members for speaking with various audiences and stakeholders and to support ICL media outreach
Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional writer with proven ability to quickly and consistently produce compelling written materials for defined audiences and established communication objectives
- High level of attention to detail to ensure all work is produced to the highest standard
- Works collaboratively with internal colleagues and external partners to achieve organizational goals; seeks organizational input and engagement by valuing others’ ideas and expertise
- Creative and strategic mindset
- Able to multitask and work in an small team environment with tight deadlines, shifting priorities in a fast paced environment
- Understands the unique communication challenges that can arise when disrupting and dismantling oppressive systems and advocating for social change; experience in this regard is considered an asset, as is a strong understanding of issues relating to social justice
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or a related field
- 1-3 years of experience in a writing role; a combination of education and experience may be considered as an equivalent
- Proficiency in Google Workspace
- Candidates may work remotely; workspace at ICL’s office in TMU is available if desired
- Experience working with NationBuilder is considered an asset
- Proficiency in French is considered an asset
How to Apply
Please consolidate your resume and cover letter into one document and send your application with the subject line “Communication Officer” to [email protected] There will be rolling interviews until the position has been filled. Unfortunately we cannot manage phone calls or general inquiries at this time.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and includes wages and benefits.
ICL values diversity and inclusivity. We encourage all individuals inclusive of any identity to apply. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
ICL is located in Tkaronto or Toronto and is on the traditional territory of Haudenosaunee speaking nations, including the Huron-Wendat, Petun, Seneca and Mohawk, & was more recently joined by the Mississaugas of the Credit. This territory is covered by the Dish with One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an agreement between the Haudenosaunee Confederacy and the Anishnaabe (Ojibwe) and allied nations to peaceably share and care for the lands and the relationships around the Great Lakes. By living and working here, we all have a responsibility to the environment and to each other, to treat each other with peace, friendship & respect.