4 Nov 2020
Position Title: Administrative Coordinator
Who we are
Founded in 2016, the Institute for Change Leaders (ICL) teaches the skills that organizers need in order to win social change. ICL has taught community and political organizing to over five thousand organizers since launching. We believe students learn best when they practice what they learn. We work with organizations such as unions, non-profits, community and neighbourhood organizations and social service agencies to deliver tailored training.
What we teach
We teach how to tell a story to persuade and motivate others; how to recruit and retain volunteers; how to structure a team to encourage leadership development; integrate social justice values within organizing and how to strategize and choose tactics that build power. Our curriculum comes from Marshall Ganz, a Harvard professor who codified the relationship-building organizational framework we teach after the years he spent organizing the Civil Rights and United Farm Workers movements. He was a key trainer and organizing strategist behind President Obama’s presidential campaigns. The Institute offers the first accredited Marshall Ganz-based community-organizing course in Canada.
Support the Academic Lead and Executive Director in the day-to-day management of educational trainings.
Key responsibilities and duties
The duties below may be assigned as needed, additional responsibilities and back-up support of a comparable nature may be required.
Support the Lead Instructors with updating of materials and curriculum building
- Create and edit the slide decks and agenda for each training in coordination with Lead Trainers and with consultation with the Academic Lead (Olivia Chow). Once finalized, share the slide deck and agenda with facilitators, instructors and the partnering organization key contacts. Amend the deck and agenda when last minute changes are needed.
- Develop the detailed agendas for each training in coordination with the Lead Instructors, the client and in consultation with Academic Lead (Olivia Chow).
- Send out a pre-training package for participants including the public agenda, relevant chapters and worksheets to read ahead of time along with a survey.
- Coordinate pre-training meetings and debriefings with facilitators and instructors.
- Handle all communications with client related to management of pre-event registrations etc.
- Assign roles and responsibilities of the training (ie timekeeper, scribe, chat monitor) to appropriate facilitators and trainers.
- Support the Education & Outreach Manager with the logistics of post-training evaluations and surveys.
Coordinate the logistics of the trainings
- Set-up event registration collection forms on NationBuilder or EventBrite.
- Maintain imports of registration data into NationBuilder.
- Manage the meeting invitations for all training registrants and adjust facilitators accordingly in consultation with Education & Outreach Manager.
- Monitor incoming emails and communications.
- Manage all in person training event logistics such as determining location, food, AV etc. In our current pandemic environment, all trainings are online so the Coordinator will manage the logistics of online training including acting as Zoom technician, managing the participants, overseeing the chat etc.
- File all appropriate training materials accordingly.
- Prepare and manage all client invoices.
- Maintain NationBuilder database with detailed notes of client contacts.
- Deposit cheques in the bank.
Minimum level of education and specialty/discipline required
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma.
- Previous experience with Marshall Ganz materials.
- As this role is involved with updating the academic curriculum, a master’s degree would be an asset (and a love for academia).
Minimum number of years and type/area of experience required given minimum education requirement
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in an office setting.
Required skills and demonstrated knowledge
- Project management experience with great attention to detail.
- Management experience in a team-oriented workplace.
- Familiarity with Nationbuilder or similar CRM software.
- Previous experience with Zoom.
- Previous experience of Marshall Ganz materials.
- Go-getter attitude with a diverse skill set, thrives as a proactive, independent problem-solving thinker who is comfortable on their feet.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.), Google Drive.
- Work-from-home until administrative offices open up.
- Must have a strong internet connection that can support Zoom.
This is a part-time position, working 24 hours a week (three days) with the potential for full-time in the future as the organization grows. There are some evenings and weekends required (as some trainings happen beyond the traditional 9-5).
How to Apply
Please consolidate your resume and cover letter into one document and send your application with the subject line “Administrative Coordinator” to email@example.com. There will be rolling interviews until the position has been filled. Unfortunately we cannot manage phone calls or general inquiries at this time.